FACILITATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The facilitator staff (formerly counselor staff) is an integral part of the RYLA Northwest Program. Passion for youth as well as enthusiasm and dedication to working with youth are key characteristics of the facilitator Communication skills – both the ability to listen and to speak – are critical to the success of facilitators. Facilitators are the gateway for RYLA participants to experience positive adult role models that exemplify the ideals of Rotary, including the Four-Way Test, and Service Above Self. This is demonstrated in their commitment of time and giving of themselves to achieve an exceptional RYLA experience. Facilitators often comment that their own personal growth is just as comparable to that of even the participants. Truly a life changing experience.
Facilitators will be asked to actively participate in all activities, training and orientation related to RYLA. A counselor is expected to be willing to challenge themselves and step outside their own comfort zone. They should approach activities with an open mind and be willing to grow themselves. They should be eager to engage in conversation, initiate activities, provide oversight and guidance to participants, and constructive feedback to the RYLA committee and directors. The ability to be flexible and work cooperatively with others is a must.
The RYLA Northwest Program maintains the following objectives for the RYLA program:
- To demonstrate Rotary’s respect and concern for youth.
- To publicly recognize and nurture the high qualities of the many young people who are rendering service to their communities as youth leaders.
- To stimulate and cultivate leadership potential in youth.
- To provide meaningful leadership training experience for youth, through programs such as physical & mental challenges, discussions, and guest speakers.
- To give back to its communities, by providing training for an elite group of tomorrow’s leaders.
Requirements and Expectations
- Time Commitment:
- Attend one-day training on Saturday, January 4, 2020.
- Serve at the RYLA Northwest Conference, March 12, 2020 at 3:00p until March 15, 2020 at 12:00p, at Pacific Lutheran University
- Planning: Facilitators will work with the RYLA Committee (“RYCOM,” the Rotarian representatives of Districts 5020 and 5030) to help organize a portion of the RYLA Conference.
Facilitators will receive a $275.00 stipend at the conclusion of the conference.
Key Roles of Facilitators
- Participation – Facilitators are expected to take an active role throughout the conference. Facilitators must be willing to “open up” and be authentic with the participants. Facilitators must also be cognizant that RYLA is for the youth, and therefore they must judiciously limit their participation in some activities. The speakers and program activities are geared toward the RYLA Participants. In this regard, your role is to assist the presenters as needed and support the participants to have the best experience possible.
- Leadership – Facilitators will be asked to discuss and debrief presentations and activities with the attendees. They will oversee RYLA Reaction groups and make sure the planning that is taking place for skit night is appropriate for the overall RYLA audience, including Rotary Observers.
- Presenter – Facilitators may be asked to lead an activity, welcome speakers, and/or debrief campers on the daily schedule.
- Role Model – Facilitators will be expected to set an example for participants.
- Chaperone – Facilitators sleep in the same area as their gender.
- Observer – Facilitators will be asked to be observant of the participants so that issues that arise can be addressed.
- Conference guidelines/rules – RYCOM will outline and request attendees to make a commitment in following the guidelines/rules. Facilitators will be responsible for overseeing that those in attendance commit to following the rules as needed. If necessary, counselors should refer concerns to the RYCOM representative present and if needed, to contact the RYLA administrator, for further action.
- Coordinator – Coordination between attendees, other Facilitators, RYLA Committee, and medical person as needed.
If you want to join our team, please complete the online application located here by August 18, 2019.